Monday, March 5, 2012

Thoughts on a Meat Shape

What comes to mind when you hear the term "meat shape?"
I recently came across it in a blog post, and I must admit I found the post incredibly entertaining (note: if you're transphobic, homophobic, or uncomfortable with discussing genitalia, don't bother following that link, and navigate away from this page right now. And don't come back).
The term got lodged in my brain, and I haven't been able to shake it. It's crude enough to shock someone into paying attention, while being generic enough to not assign either biological sex, or gender to a person. I particularly like the phrase:
a lovely term to refer to genitals–”meat-shape.” As it turns out, I’ve found this word incredibly useful for talking about meat-shapes without having to differentiate their colonizations.
Which brings me to my not so surprising public revelation: My meat shape and my brain are at odds with one another. Ok, this isn't exactly new to me- I've known for a while that I have gender issues. And lately I've been thinking of how to go about altering my meat shape to a more pleasing for my brain. Now, I should clarify; I am NOT a man trapped in a woman's body. I fall outside the binary somewhere, which means accessing resources for transgender folks is a bit different. The non-binary is not recognized by what little government resources are out there, and few surgeons are willing to recognize it either. I feel no desire to start taking hormones, or to jump through a bunch of hoops with a psychiatrist or psychologist in order to get the government to shove me into a different- just as ill fitting- gender box.
My brain prefers to be hidden by superhero themed underpants. My brain prefers to look like a Ken doll: no definition to the lower or upper bits, and a perfect smile to charm the world! Which is more important to listen to, my brain, or my meat shape?

Not my own drawing. Found online at http://genderfork.com/2012/comic/


No comments:

Post a Comment