Monday, June 25, 2012

Genderfree Challenge Week 2

When I originally posted the idea of a "gender free challenge," my goal was to challenge those who identify comfortably within the binary to take five minutes out of their day and live in my (and many other non-binary types) shoes. It was to help raise awareness of how many needlessly gendered items there are out there in society. But as this grew through Neutrois Nonsense's Tumblr, it got me thinking of how valuable of a resource this could become for other gender variant folks. Know of a brand of gender free adult vitamins? Great! Share it with the community! Know a store that has gender free adult vitamins available for sale? Great! Let the rest of us know, so we may shop there also.

And so, regardless of how you identify, I issue this week's Challenge!

This week, I challenge you to find a package of baby socks that is not labelled as "boys" or "girls." It's true that you can find packs with "neutral" colours in them (greens, yellows, etc), but even those generally tend to state on the tag that they are for boys or girls.


As with every challenge, I encourage you to come back and let me know how it was. Were you able to easily find them? If so, what store were you in? Tell me- what will you do if you ever hope to buy baby socks before the baby is born? Let's hope everyone tells you the gender as soon as they find out from an ultrasound!!! REALLY????? Speaking from personal experience, I think it's ridiculous, which is why a pack of baby socks is this week's Gender Free challenge!

3 comments:

  1. Haven't had a chance to go out baby sock shopping... but I have been scouring the websites for cloth diapers. You'll be pleased to know that, unlike their disposable name brand counterparts --- Huggies, Pampers, etc --- cloth diapers appear to be completely gender neutral! :) Our preferred brand, Motherease doesn't discriminate at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! Giggle Life cute newborn baby socks... while it could be argued that the pink socks are for girls and the blue are for boys, the website makes no mention whatsoever of this. Completely gender neutral in it's packaging and sales pitch... I could buy both colours and they wouldn't say a word! :)

    http://www.gigglelife.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/53

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I just want to say, you are awesome :) Thanks for sharing your discoveries!

    ReplyDelete